Celebrate the Inaugural Black History Month Celebration at Westfield Culver City (formerly known as the Fox Hills Mall.) This month-long event will not only honor the impactful contributions of African American individuals but also strengthen the bonds within our community.
Kick-off festivities will include Oscar-, Emmy- and 3x Grammy-winning recording artist, actor, activist, and author Common. The award-winning entertainer will meet celebrants and share personal anecdotes and secrets to self-care success from his new health and wellness book, “And Then We Rise: A Guide to Loving and Taking Care of Self. Culver City Mayor Yasmine-Imani McMorrin — making history as the City’s first African American woman to hold the office — will deliver welcome remarks and greet attendees.
Other highlights of African American Heritage Month at Westfield Culver City include:
- Storytelling and musical performance by artist Kori Withers, the daughter of the late and legendary 3x Grammy-winning R & B recording artist Bill Withers and author of “Grandma’s Hands.”
- Book discussion with Carlyn Calloway, author of “LIZZY: The Elizabeth Keckley Story, From Slavery to Being America’s First Couturier.”
- Recitals by poets Theresa tha S.O.N.G.B.I.R.D and Shonda Buchanan.
- Special drumming and dance performance by local favorite SHINE Muwasi Women’s African Drum Circle.
- A special meet and greet with Los Angeles Sparks Mascot children’s ambassador.
- Entertainment and musical grooves from The Charles Trio jazz band.
- Plus, giveaways, prizes, food samples and more.
This month-long celebration of special guests, events, and programming is free and open to the public.
Produced by Leimert Park Village Book Fair